All's well here – the swell (about 4m) is quite majestic but isn't troubling us. We motor-sailed through the night but got a good sailing breeze this morning from WSW so have managed to cut both corners of the dog-leg to the SE that we had planned, saving quite a few precious miles. In the past hour the winds shifted back SSW so were aren't pointing at Opua any more but we're making best course and speed to windward. We're expecting to have to motor again motor tomorrow as the wind drops but, with 170 miles to go, we should arrive Saturday evening if all goes well. The entrance to Opua is well lit (that'll be a novelty after Fiji where most of the marks aren't lit and those that should be often have malfunctioning lights) so we can get in at night if necessary and tie up to the quarantine doc to await clearance on Sunday.
Our timing will be good as another weather front, bringing strong wind and rain, will hit North Island on Monday and we'll be in the Marina Cafe eating Eggs Benedict and drinking a Flat White coffee for brunch.
Our update at 00.00UTC Friday 31st October is as follows:
Position: 32 degrees 26 mins south, 174 degrees, 46 mins east
Wind: SSW 10-14 knots
Boat: 6.0 knots SOG at 165 degrees true, Sea: 4m swell plus some wind chop
Cloud cover: 60%, grey cloud to our east
Mileage covered in past 24 hours: 138nm