We now moved back into the big shed to take over the next bit of the project - putting her back together again over the next couple of weeks. As you can see from the last photo, there are some important bits to replace onto her stern but the really big challenge that we face is to refit all the deck fittings. The new deck is all but complete, with just some minor finishing work to take place next week, so we used the templates that we'd carefully made to identify the position of all the bolt holes, took a deep breath and fired up the drill!
|The first task was to drill the holes for the feet of the pulpit...|
|… followed by the cleats and other foredeck fittings. Note the vital kneeling pad!|
|Blue gloves on for the Sikaflex - a ring around each bolt hole, followed by additional lines to bed down the fitting onto the deck. The felt pen marks on the fibreglass were used to locate the templates that we used to locate the drill holes.|
|Screwing in the bolts. Though we re-used the old fittings, the new stainless steel bolts have Allen-key socket heads which look neater and are much easier to undo than the old slot heads (should we ever need to remove them, which we hope we won't!)|
|The first base in place and masked up, ready for sealant. You can see the grain effect of the Tek Dek and the very neat, no-caulking fit against the fibreglass of the bulwark.|